Widow in Enugu seeks IGP’s help in release of seven-year-old boy detained for alleged murder — Lawrence Njoku

By Ikenga Chronicles July 12, 2016

Widow in Enugu seeks IGP’s help in release of seven-year-old boy detained for alleged murder — Lawrence Njoku

A widow, Mrs. Nwakaego Oramelu, has asked the acting Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to order the release of her seven-year-old child, Chibuike Miracle Oramalu, a primary two pupil of Carmelite Nursery and Primary School, Nike Avenue, G.R.A. Enugu, being held by the police in the state for alleged murder.

The single mother of five said her child had been in detention since May 30, 2016. Speaking through her counsel and president, Civil Rights Realisation and Advancement Network (CRRAN), Mr. Olu Omotayo, the widow said the continued detention of her child had robbed him of the opportunity of going to school, accusing the police of frustrating all efforts to get the boy out of detention.

Narrating the incident that led to the arrest and detention of Chibuike, Mrs. Oramelu, who lives and works as a housekeeper at No. 5/7 Robito Crescent, Independence layout, Enugu, a property belonging to Mr. Edwin Oforma, said it was following the killing of a 12-year-old Oluebube Boniface.

Her lawyer said: “She was employed by Edwin Oforma, who gave her and her children accommodation on the property. On May 29, while my client was away to Adoration Ministries for the Sunday service, the son of her employer, Chukwunanu Oforma, a National
Youth Corps member asked the little Chibuike and his 10-year-old sibling named Ifeanyichukwu to tidy his father’s room.

“Ifeanyichukwu was sweeping while Chibuike was dressing the bed when Chibuike saw a gun near the bed and showed it to his brother, who asked him to return the gun. While Chibuike was returning the gun, he mistakenly pulled the trigger and a shot went off, shattered the glass window of the room, pierced the wall of the next building and hit Boniface on the chest, who died on the spot.”

He added that since the incident, Chukwunanu had taken to his heels. “Neither he nor the father has been seen since then.”

The matter is at present being investigated at the State Criminal and Investigation Department, Police Headquarters, Enugu, where Chibuike is being held. Police authorities say he is detained because he is the “principal suspect” in the case.

When contacted on the development, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Ebere Amaraizu, said Chubuike was no longer in their custody, stressing that they initially kept him away to avoid being harmed by the bereaved family.

“We cannot detain a seven year old boy. It is not done. The boy is not in our custody. We only protected them then to avoid reprisal and since we have noticed that they were safe, we allowed them to go,” he said.

Amaraizu could not say however when the release of the boy was carried out.